Whenever you hear someone discussing about Travelling in Mumbai, the conversation will surely have these places - Lonavala, Khandala etc.
So, this was the 2nd Travel destination for HillTrotters in and around Mumbai. We planned to ride through these twin Hill-stations and explore must visit places near to them.
Lonavala and Khandala are the twin hill-stations in Pune district of Maharashtra state which are thronged by tourists during monsoon and post monsoon till winters. and while coming back you can always opt to take Tahmini ghat route to experience one of the best ghat section roads around Mumbai.
Khandala Ghat View, On the way to Rajmachi
How to Reach:
Mumbai - Pune expressway or adjoining road to the expressway (for Bikers) is the best route to reach Khandala and Lonavala.
Approx 90kms to Lonavala and 30 kms more for Kamshet.
HillTrotters visited this place in November 2018 and it was a 2 day Bike ride from Mumbai from Saturday morning -> Halt at Lonavala close to Bhushi dam and then return via Tahmini Ghat by Sunday evening.
Mumbai -> Khandala -> Shirota Lake -> Kamshet -> Uksan Lake -> Bedse caves -> Pawna Lake -> Lohagad fort -> Bhaja Caves -> Tahmini Ghat - > Mumbai
Total Ride Odometer Reading:
396kms over 2 days.
Uksan Lake camping site, Kamshet
1. Shirota Lake - off from Expressway near Kandala, on the way to Rajmachi fort.
2. Karla caves - Ancient Buddhist rock cut cave temple/structures for meditation.
3. Uksan Lake (Kamshet Paragliding site) - Famous camping site around Kamshet.
4. Bedse Caves - Rock cut cave temples for Buddhists dating back to 1st century BCE to Sathavahana period.
5. Pawna Lake/Dam - Plenty of camping sites and view points for the wonderful turquoise blue lake water.
6. Bhaja Caves - 22 rock cut caves dating back to 2nd century BC in Lonavala, Pune.
7. Tahmini Ghat - We rode back to Mumbai via Tahmini Ghat which is one of the best ghat section around Mumbai for Bike riders.
Bhaja Caves, Dates back to 2nd Century BCE
Other Places of Interest:
1. Lohagad fort - Missed to visit the fort, due to insufficient time, and surely to be visited if you are in Lonavala.
2. Visapur Fort.
3. Dudhiware waterfall - During Monsoon season.
4. Tikona Fort
5. Bhushi Dam - On the way to Amby Valley.
6. Devkund waterfall - close to Tahmini Ghat
7. Garudmachi trail - on the way to Tahmini Ghat.
Its a long list of interesting places/forts/waterfalls.
Buddhist Architecture, Bedse caves
Best season to Visit: August to December would be ideal time, Keeping in mind the erratic monsoon season these years.
There are plenty of stay options throughout the year in and around Lonavala.
In short its a package of a place which is so close to Mumbai and no wonder Tourists/Travelers/Trekkers throng to Lonavala valley.
Kamshet old Paragliding/camping site near Uksan lake
Bedse Cave Temple struture
View of Khandala Ghat, On the way to Shirota Lake
Pawana Lake View
Khandala Ghat View Point
For more detailed information or itinerary on Sahyadri Bike rides or Trekking in western ghats or other awesome places in India, please contact HillTrotters@gmail.com or visit our Facebook page "HillTrotters", also subscribe to us on YouTube channel with "HillTrotters Travelogues".
Please contact HillTrotters@gmail.com for any suggestions or travel related queries.